The mission of EKSISTENZ is to deliver a set of innovative and interoperable tools, procedures, methods and processes that will tackle identity theft in the EU. The entire life-cycle of identity will be taken into account and the privacy of citizens will always be considered paramount. In order to demonstrate the achievement of its mission, EKSISTENZ will develop a proof of concept relating to banking/finance that will be proven as scalable and deployable at the national level.
The negative social and economic impacts caused by identity-related crimes in general and identity theft in particular are a major concern for all EU member states. EKSISTENZ aims to protect against both.
EKSISTENZ combats the identity thief: a thief who today searches through recycled materials, phishes, spoofs, sends scam emails, employs viruses, trojans and key loggers. And EKSISTENZ will do this by creating a real and strong link between the citizen and its primary identity document. EKSISTENZ will:
- Strengthen the existing electronic-based primary identity document and associated bearer authentication method using biometric features and/or prior knowledge about the legitimate holder
- Derive from the primary identity document secondary identities
- Aid future verification of primary and secondary identities and the bearers of such identities
The key objectives of EKSISTENZ are:
- Develop innovative and interoperable components protecting the citizen from identity thieves
- Assess the technical maturity of the tools by taking into account the outcome results of the proof of concept in a linked governmental/services environment
- Strengthen citizen privacy by generating trusted and dedicated secondary identity in a way that avoids function creep and crossing information between identities
- Provide to each member state the possibility to implement the solution at the national level
- Inform the citizen on methods to recover her or his identity after theft
- Detect identity fraud attempts and respond appropriately
- Serve as a policy advisor to EU member states
- Build an identity theft think-tank community in cooperation with Interpol and Europol
- Lead key actors during the founding of a European Observatory on identity theft
By achieving these objectives, EKSISTENZ will not only make a major contribution to the implementation of EU policy, it will also open up the market for advanced identity protection systems – an international multi-billion Euro market – and will strengthen the leading position of Europe in this area.
EKSISTENZ is set to conclude in May 2017. A final event is to be held in Rome. Details and an opportunity to register can be found here.